Yesterday we removed 2 old aluminium sliding windows (the original timber frames were still hidden behind them and also had to be removed).
We kept the internal linings, nosing and aves as they were in good condition and there was no need to replace them. But more care is required when removing the existing frames so as to not damage those internal timbers.
We replaced them with new cedar single hung windows. Dummy side sashes (they dont move). Locks, screen and operated with spiral balances (black tubes that hold the sash up and down – as opposed to weights and pulleys in a box frame window (we we also make).
We are flat out as the year winds down. So much so, i’ve had no time to post our works – even the more interesting ones. So keep in mind #thewindowmanSA on instagram has more photos as it’s quicker for me to do so.
Wed and Thurs we removed 2 corner timber windows which had extensive water rot.
We did one set each day.
before and after
Thursday we drove to Edithburg, and worked on 4x windows. stayed overnight and finished it the next day.
The original window- sorry i dont know why the picture image failed so badly. The Window was rotten and the top sash glass was ready to drop out the base of the sash.
Yesterday we installed 2 windows. 1 is a fixed frame where we reused the old leadlight. Pictures speak louder than words;-
New window in, but yet to cap/finish the surrounds
this morning we removed an aluminium garden bay window in a kitchen, and replaced it with a more traditional window that would have originally been there.
This is the aluminium window we were to remove. This is to coincide with a kitchen refit inside. note the roof- that actually opens!
Window removed, and the opening exposed. You can see how much silicon on the sides (and head) were used on the alum window.
New Cedar Window. Quads outside, lining and aves on the inside. new kitchen bench will slide right up against the window sill.
Yesterday we removed 3 old aluminium sliding windows which had 3mm float glass, and replaced them with new slightly larger residential framing( depth 60mm) glazed with 6.38 clear laminate glass. Awnings with chain winders and screens. The result was quite dramatic, with a fair few compliments as people passed by.
3 of us on the first day, and1more morning to just finish some angles on the outside.
Today we removed a rotten timber window (acting as a skylight). The rot had stopped the sashes being open. We installed a new aluminium window with a battery powered, chain winder. The customer has a little remote control and points it to the window and it opens/closes.
OK, this job was to replace damaged windows and doors (fire damage) with new commercial, clear anodise frames.
glass was 6.38 clear laminate, except the 2 larger panes which were a hefty 10.38
original shopfront. hard to see from here but its all been damaged in an internal fire
fire destroyed this rather large building.
Original frames moved out.
the new shopfront being installed in place.
Final result of the job. A few angles / trims/ flashings being made up and then will be installed, but otherwise our job is done.
Last week we went off to remove fire damaged windows and doors at a small series of shops. With the new windows ready we removed the old ones and installed and site glazed the new ones. over 2 days.commercial aluminium, pivot doors with concealed overhead door closers and all laminate glass.
replacing fire damaged windows and doors with new.
This morning we removed an old rotten window at a rugby club. The original was a 4 panel awning window (so it could wind out), but the client wanted fixed panels instead.
WE reduced it 2 panel fixed lite. None of the sashes could be opened at this point – all had swollen from moisture and had sealed themselves shut.
Original Window. THe Right most panel has the glass ready to fall out as the bottom of the sash is comopletly rotten and sagging.
THe sashes have been removed and the mullions cut to then allow the rest of the perimeter frame to come out.
New frame in. Very tight working conditions on the inside.
Finito. Notice the bottom sill tiles have come away (they were resting on original frame). The Builder has a tiler organised to re-cement back in the correct angle. Our work is complete.