Square Bay Window removal and install

Finished Product, Work in progress

This is the original window. from afar, it looks OK. however it had been bogged up with putty and car bog to fill in some rot in various joins. the glass is 3mm float. A variety of different timbers were in this old frame; pine, cedar, meranti, and a bit of oak.

glass panels are removed, and in this instance we worked by removing the small side first, adding the new window and then removing the longer side.

The Head of the window was nailed to the overhead beam which had been capped in metal. Great care had to be taken at this stage.

New little window has been placed temporary, whilst the head of the larger window frame is now being moved.

New Window frames now placed in. The Client had painted them prior to us installing/glazing. Glass is a much thicker/safer 6.38 laminate glass.

End result. The client just needs to paint the extra timber panels on corner and top and it will blend in. This install was done in 1 day, with a 2nd day to just add an extra piece of timber on the inside to cover the gap between gyprock and window frame.

Advertisements

Meranti window install

Finished Product, Work in progress

This morning we removed an old rotten window at a rugby club. The original was a 4 panel awning window (so it could wind out), but the client wanted fixed panels instead.

WE reduced it 2 panel fixed lite.  None of the sashes could be opened at this point – all had swollen from moisture and had sealed themselves shut.

Original Window. THe Right most panel has the glass ready to fall out as the bottom of the sash is comopletly rotten and sagging.

THe sashes have been removed and the mullions cut to then allow the rest of the perimeter frame to come out.

New frame in. Very tight working conditions on the inside.

Finito. Notice the bottom sill tiles have come away (they were resting on original frame). The Builder has a tiler organised to re-cement back in the correct angle. Our work is complete.

A few more photos

Finished Product, Work in progress

Im not in the office much lately – too many installs where im needed to give a hand. So here are just a few more photos of some of the things going on around now

Original and new timber flyscreen

Cedar casement windows ready for transport

a small selection of our frames in the factory today. an arch, a sliding door, some doorframes with sidelites etc.

Some timber windows installed, sashes remade, windows removed etc

Finished Product, Work in progress

Just a few photos of various bits n’ pieces that have occurred lately.

Replacing a rotten timber box frame window with its new cedar replacement.

New cedar window installed into a prepared opening. we used square beading on the outside to match windows around the house.

look at this mess! this is early on in a window install. a timber window has been removed,and a new aluminium window is prepared for install

Arched frames and random work

Finished Product, Work in progress

It has been a while since my last post. Not because we aren’t busy at TWM – we almost always are – but because I’ve had walls to paint, and all the plumbing redone at home.

Recently we have had 2 separate jobs come in at the same time for arched doors and door frames.

Have some photos.

Arched solid cedar door to suit doorframe. this job also includes a frame with double doors as well.

cedar arched doorframe with no sill. 2 doors are being made to suit.

cedar doorframes with arched hi lites. the doors will be standard recetangular double doors. but the arches will include leadlight.

how an arch is made. naturally you cant get a single piece of timber 2m wide by 1m high in a single piece. to make an arch lots of cedar blocks are cut to the curve required, then assembled together. its a time consuming job, but the results are excellent.

The wall I mentioned, well have a photo or two…

art by peter the production manager of THE WINDOW MAN. in croydon.

art by peter the production manager of THE WINDOW MAN.

 

Timber install photos

Finished Product

Last week we pulled out the old rotten windows in a lovely sun room. the floor was hand made parquetry, truly time-consuming to make.

We replaced the frames with new cedar frames. This time with no colonial bars, and increased the glass from 3mm float, to 6.38 clear comfort plus Low-E glass.